Welcome to alberntalk.com Please Log in or Register. Thanks

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to alberntalk.com Please Log in or Register. Thanks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Secure1
Click to scan this page

Speaking of Beaver Creek's Drinking Water...

+8
Jeckle
Bob Loblaw
Admin
chrisale
hedder
pen
Possum
The Invisible Man
12 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Speaking of Beaver Creek's Drinking Water... - Page 5 Empty Speaking of Beaver Creek's Drinking Water...

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Last October, the people of Beaver Creek voted 73% in favour of converting the Beaver Creek Improvement District (BCID) into a service area of the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD).

Five months have passed and BCID has not shown much movement towards the conversion.

The ACRD has committed $800,000 to infrastructure upgrades in 2012 and more recently applied for an additional $810,000 grant for a total of $1.61 million in water system improvements for Beaver Creek.

It was proposed that June 1st be a target date for conversion to enable work to commence in 2012 as these funds cannot be used for works that are not the responsibility of the ACRD.

BCID was supposed to make a decision to move forward with the conversion at last night's regular monthly meeting however the meeting was cancelled. The note on the door did not specify why it was cancelled however said the next meeting will be held on April 16th.

Rarely do leopards change their spots. Chances are high that BCID trustees are up to the same game that they have been playing all along trying to maintain the status quo. Is it time to rally the troops AGAIN? Doesn't the voice of the people mean anything to them? ACRD has put their best foot forward and now its time for BCID to do the same.

Last edited by The Invisible Man on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Port Points : 402

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Beaver Creek's Drinking Water... - Page 5 Empty Re: Speaking of Beaver Creek's Drinking Water...

Post by Admin Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:04 pm

OK, this probably won't go down as the smartest thing I ever did but the thread is opened up again.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Port Points : 106

http://www.albernitalk.com/

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Beaver Creek's Drinking Water... - Page 5 Empty Re: Speaking of Beaver Creek's Drinking Water...

Post by The Invisible Man Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for reopening the thread.

First, I would like to apologize to Chef. I think that I may have taken his comment the wrong way. I feel like I am constantly under attack and when I read his comment I requested that it be removed.

This is how it went down. I did not copy the post so this is from my memory.

Chef responded to this comment that I made:

"I have been following this water issue since 1999. That is a long time and it is high time that it was finally resolved. I would never enter the political arena again. The game of politics is too nasty for me and it takes too long to accomplish even the simplest task. My passion is already placed somewhere else...a place where I will personally benefit from all of the hard work that I put into things."

Chef quoted this snippet from my post "...a place where I will personally benefit from all of the hard work that I put into things." then said "Like a job in a mental institution? Ha ha ha"

I took that as a slight. Earlier in the thread Hedder made comments about my mental condition that offended me. Those comments were in the back of my mind. I also sit on the board of directors of the Canadian Mental Health Association so that probably crawled into my thinking too.

I take full responsibility for everything that I have written. If you have a legal issue please address it to me.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 pm

I hear BCID is stalling because of a dispute over the Kitsuksis Reservoir. The reservoir has been leaking for over a year. BCID trustees want to replace it with a 500,000 ig tank while ACRD and the engineers say it is best to replace the failing reservoir with one the same size (250,000 ig). Here's a letter that was sent to BCID regarding the issue:

The Improvement District and Regional District have developed a plan to replace the Kitsuksis Reservoir in a joint effort. The Improvement District has hired Koers and Associates Engineering Ltd. to design and prepare the tender documents. Post conversion the Regional District will follow through with construction. By cooperating on this project the two agencies are ensuring that the works are accomplished at the first available opportunity.

The initial commitment was to proceed with a 250,000ig reservoir. This is recommended by Koers in consideration of an evaluation of the present and future needs of the water system. Koers have recommended that the reservoir be constructed as a glass fused to steel structure. At the joint conversion committee the Trustees have questioned the size and composition of the reservoir. They propose that a cheaper epoxy lined reservoir be selected and constructed to a capacity of 500,000ig.

ACRD Manager of Environmental Services – Andy Daniel, contacted other municipalities to determine the preferable construction material. Most municipalities select the glass fused on account of its longevity and lower maintenance costs making it the most cost effective choice over time. The City of Parkville completed an analysis of the two materials verifying this.

If the objective is to provide 500,000ig (twice the recommended capacity) another option is to repair the existing concrete reservoir once the new reservoir is constructed. Associated Engineering estimated the cost to structurally repair the existing reservoir to be in the $250,000 range, assuming the reservoir is online and required for day to day storage. With a new reservoir in place costs to repair the concrete reservoir could be substantially reduced. Further the repair cost can be weighed against the cost of dismantling and disposing of the concrete tank. This analysis can be undertaken upon completion of the new reservoir.

The objective should be to provide the best possible material at an affordable price, designed to the specifications developed by an engineer familiar with the needs of the system. The recommendations of Koers and analysis provided by Andy Daniel indicate that a 250,000ig glass fused reservoir is the best alternative. The existing concrete reservoir may provide options for expanded capacity at this site should it be warranted. Future increases in reservoir capacity can be accommodated through Development Cost Charges.

While epoxy is less expensive to start, over time its maintenance requirements diminish the advantages. An increase in size to 500,000ig even with epoxy is estimated to cost more than the glass fused alternative and that will take money away from water quality and /or other upgrades.

Recommendation:

That the Board of Trustees of the Beaver Creek Improvement District confirm the design and tender documents for the Kitsuksis Reservoir will be based on a 250,000ig glass fused reservoir as originally planned.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 am

I wonder where the funding is supposed to come from?

Possum

Port Points : 174

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:27 am

Possum wrote:I wonder where the funding is supposed to come from?
The ACRD set aside $800,000 (a grant from the federal government's gas tax refund) to replace the ageing reservoir. That would cover 100% of the cost of replacing the 250,000 ig tank (current size). The reservoir that BCID wants would cost substantially more and anything above the $800,000 grant would come straight from Beaver Creek taxpayer's pockets.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:43 am

Like always we will watch BC build something too small and then the wailing will start all over again. The tower tank out towards Bainbridge Rd was built too small now they want to cheap out on the other reservoir.

Possum

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:59 am

The current capacity of the reservoirs is more than enough to meet the daily demand. The engineering report on the options for Valley-wide water system said an increase in capacity would not be needed for at least thirty years (based on expected population growth).

The report from the ACRD says "...Trustees (BCID) have questioned the size and composition of the reservoir. They propose that a cheaper epoxy lined reservoir be selected and constructed to a capacity of 500,000ig."

The ACRD says they contacted "other municipalities to determine the preferable construction material. Most municipalities select the glass fused on account of its longevity and lower maintenance costs making it the most cost effective choice over time."

So that says to me that BCID's option would end up costing us more now and more in the long run.

Regardless -- why is BCID arguing the issue? The people voted in favour of placing drinking water under the ACRD's jurisdiction.

Elected officials from the BCID should endorse the recommendations made by professionals: "The objective should be to provide the best possible material at an affordable price, designed to the specifications developed by an engineer familiar with the needs of the system. The recommendations of Koers (professional engineers) and analysis provided by Andy Daniel (ACRD manager) indicate that a 250,000ig glass fused reservoir is the best alternative."
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Strange, I've heard from a fairly reliable source, that BC is one structure fire away from a boil water at any given time. So whom do we believe???

Possum

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Possum wrote:Strange, I've heard from a fairly reliable source, that BC is one structure fire away from a boil water at any given time. So whom do we believe???
I would believe the professional engineers that know Beaver Creek's water system well -- Koers and Associates Engineering. That is who recommended to replace the 250,000 ig reservoir.

Why is it that we have had several structure fires in the past and not once has it resulted in a boil water advisory?
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Koers and Ass have done a study, don't make the experts in any way shape or form. Like pollsters they have a predetermined result before they start and until an in-depth study is completed the results of their opening gambit may or may not be true and on the money. You will believe anything that comes out against the BCID stance, no matter if accurate or not.

Possum

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Possum wrote:Koers and Ass have done a study, don't make the experts in any way shape or form. Like pollsters they have a predetermined result before they start and until an in-depth study is completed the results of their opening gambit may or may not be true and on the money. You will believe anything that comes out against the BCID stance, no matter if accurate or not.

If Koers and Associates Engineering are as you say, why did BCID hire them to look at the matter?

Koer's engineers are good at what they do and they STAY COMPLETELY OUT OF POLITICS. They're professionals. They know Beaver Creek's water system better than any other engineering firm.

Something about this whole problem with the reservoir does not add up. Why is BCID not accepting their own engineering firm's recommendations? Are BCID board members better qualified to make such a decision?
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Maybe they heard the rumour about the one structure fire away from a boil order. Razz

Possum

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Possum wrote:Maybe they heard the rumour about the one structure fire away from a boil order. Razz
Ha ha that rumour doesn't make sense. All water that is pumped into the distribution system is chlorinated at the entrance to the system.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:01 am

Boy you sure just cleared something up for me. Now I am even more convinced of something; thank you.

Possum

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 am

So tell me Possum, why would a structure fire cause a boil water advisory?
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:32 am

Ha ha are you concerned with low water pressure? As a rule of thumb, the water pressure throughout the distribution system should be no less than 17 PSI. I don't recall that being much of an issue in Beaver Creek. If there is a problem, wouldn't it make more sense to require back-flow prevention on homes and put more money into upgrading the pipe in the ground? I recall the overall plan for the regional water system includes major upgrades to the water main system.

The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:07 am

Here's what the professional engineers have to say about water pressure in Beaver Creek's water system:

A computer model was established of the BCID system for the 2006 study using the software program WaterCAD v7. This model was used to analyze the supply and distribution system for adequate pressures at peak hour demand and available fire flows at a residual pressure of 138 kPa (20 psi). Figures 2 and 3 show the existing peak hour pressures and available fire flows, respectively, during a summer maximum day.

The model shows that the distribution system is poorly looped and lacks redundancy. The system has 49 dead ended mains. These cause lower than recommended rural residential fire flows (50 lps or 660 igpm), may adversely affect water quality and chlorine residual due to stagnant water, and could cause extensive loss of service to customers during a water main break or shut-down. The BCID system cannot provide adequate fire protection for the large institutional building at the old school site in the 8000 block of Beaver Creek Road. The remaining school has been incorporated into the City of Port Alberni and has fire protection from the City system.

The present system is generally capable of providing greater than 276 kPa (40 psi) pressures at peak hour summer demands throughout the service area, with the exception of isolated high elevation areas around the two reservoirs, most of which has been resolved with the two pumped zones. One extensively subdivided area north of Beaver Creek Road, approximately half way between the two reservoirs, shows up yellow on Figure 2, indicating less than 138 kPa (20 psi) pressures, however, this subdivision has never been serviced or built on.

The 2006 report recommended looping and upsizing of several water mains to reduce the dead end water mains to a more reasonable number and to improve fire flows. The total length of main to be built for looping or upgrading is 9,270 m, of which 3,270 m would be built by future development. The remaining 6,000 m to be built by BCID is estimated to cost $1,820,000 in 2011dollars, including allowances for engineering and contingencies, but excluding HST.

Total reservoir storage volume in the north and south reservoirs is considered adequate to the year 2030 in accordance with current waterworks standards to provide storage for fire fighting, emergency (power failure), and peak hour balancing.

This information was copied from page 4 of THIS REPORT.

Possum did you get the part IN RED?
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:35 am

Before I go off to bed I thought I'd pose one more question: Does someone around here, perhaps someone linked to the BCID in some way, have a nice epoxy-lined 500,000 ig reservoir that they're trying to unload? It really makes me wonder why BCID is trying so hard to push aside the professional engineer's recommendations.

The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Meeting at BCID on APRIL 3rd.

I am not sure of the time but will post it when I find out.
Please help get the word out there.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pen Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 pm

The Invisible Man wrote:Before I go off to bed I thought I'd pose one more question: Does someone around here, perhaps someone linked to the BCID in some way, have a nice epoxy-lined 500,000 ig reservoir that they're trying to unload? It really makes me wonder why BCID is trying so hard to push aside the professional engineer's recommendations.

You obviously believe someone has such a thing. Why be coy? Let us all in on the story. Maybe it's someone I know. I hate suspecting all my neighbours. There's some pretty big outbuildings around this neck of the woods so I'm wondering. Nah. My friends and neighbours aren't in to corruption and cheating. Must be someone closer to your side of the community.

pen

Port Points : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

I don't know anyone that has a nice epoxy-lined 500,000 ig reservoir sitting there waiting to be unloaded...but I imagine there is one out there. I do know how things sometimes work in this place. Conflict of interest guidelines do not apply to improvement districts.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by hedder Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:16 pm

This is completely insane. You throw around wild innuendo, then act all coy when someone questions you about it! You are a cry for help, you know that???
This would be funny, were it not so pathetic. Good Lord woman, get some counselling, will you??

hedder

Port Points : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Maybe if you knew the issues in Beaver Creek you wouldn't be so quick to condemn me? Most people that follow the issue know that a local business owner sat on the BCID board and at the same time worked for the BCID. BCID also made substantial purchases from this business at the same time. The business is also in the waterworks field. That is usually known as a conflict of interest and is not legal on most local government boards. It is okay for it to happen in an improvement district because there are no conflict of interest guidelines that apply. I know that Pen is paid by BCID to write their propaganda... I also know she knows about the issue. Pen is trying to pull me into another battle and I am not into it.

BTW I don't like your style. It's mean. Just saying...
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

So if this business person and his suits show up at the forum owner's door do you think a prolific BCID flamer will be banned here too? Odds are that person has positioned themself with a plethora of nom de plumes here also. Stay tuned for the next episode of "As The Stomach Turns."

Possum

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Why would the business person have a problem with anything that I have said? I have not alleged that any laws have been broken. All anyone needs to do is get a copy of the last 5 years of BCID's year-end financial statements and look in the notes...it's all there.

No need to stay tuned for anything other than the conversion of BCID into a service area of the regional district. ACRD has conflict of interest guidelines and numerous other policies that ensure taxpayer's interests are properly looked after.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next