Welcome to alberntalk.com Please Log in or Register. Thanks

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to alberntalk.com Please Log in or Register. Thanks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Secure1
Click to scan this page

Lantzville Council votes to cut back its own pay

5 posters

Go down

Lantzville Council votes to cut back its own pay Empty Lantzville Council votes to cut back its own pay

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 pm

This report says Lantzville's new mayor and council unanimously agreed to cut their own pay. The mayor is living up to a promise made during his election campaign. Residents are more concerned with administration's pay.

De Jong said council's remuneration had gone up quite a bit in the last few years and was "too much for a small community."

The previous council had voted to increase pay to mayor and council. The planned increase raised the mayor's compensation to $19,296 in 2012 from $17,345 in 2011 and councillor's compensation to $10,094 from $9,194.

Monday's unanimous vote by the seven-member council will see the mayor paid $14,594 and councillors' salary frozen at the 2011 $9,194 level.

Residents at the council meeting thought council had misdirected its pay cut.
"We have an administrator that earns more than all of what Lantzville council earns combined," said Brian Blood.

He told council that he thought Lantzville's chief administration officer Twyla Graff was "grossly overpaid" with her $126,000 salary.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Port Points : 402

Back to top Go down

Lantzville Council votes to cut back its own pay Empty Re: Lantzville Council votes to cut back its own pay

Post by Possum Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Can someone forward this to Guy and Ken and the New IT and the and the here in Port Alberni. The whole fire department is overpaid and most of the works people.

Possum

Port Points : 174

Back to top Go down

Lantzville Council votes to cut back its own pay Empty Re: Lantzville Council votes to cut back its own pay

Post by appollo Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 pm

And i bet you were overpaid as well Possum but you probably wouldn't admit it Very Happy

appollo

Port Points : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Possum Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:08 pm

appollo wrote:And i bet you were overpaid as well Possum but you probably wouldn't admit it Very Happy
Towards the end of my career I was paid very very well, but I was also responsible for multimillion dollar split second decisions that had to be correct all the time so that's why I got the big bucks.

Paying people big bucks to save basements is counter productive is it not? The city engineer is pissing money into projects that will not stop the flooding problems, I offered my thoughts on the subject and he's going ahead anyway. He's already cost the city megabucks with screw-ups but nothing is done about it and he keeps rolling along.

Why do we have so many curators for a three room (three building) museum? All with multi-thousand dollar salaries. The city of Port Alberni cannot fund this largess from the peoples pocket books much longer. Like a Star @ heaven What a Face Like a Star @ heaven

Possum

Port Points : 174

Back to top Go down

Post by lionking Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:53 pm

appollo wrote:And i bet you were overpaid as well Possum but you probably wouldn't admit it Very Happy

Likely was. Rolling Eyes

lionking

Port Points : 326

Back to top Go down

Post by lionking Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:39 pm

The Invisible Man wrote:This report says Lantzville's new mayor and council unanimously agreed to cut their own pay. The mayor is living up to a promise made during his election campaign. Residents are more concerned with administration's pay.

De Jong said council's remuneration had gone up quite a bit in the last few years and was "too much for a small community."

The previous council had voted to increase pay to mayor and council. The planned increase raised the mayor's compensation to $19,296 in 2012 from $17,345 in 2011 and councillor's compensation to $10,094 from $9,194.

Monday's unanimous vote by the seven-member council will see the mayor paid $14,594 and councillors' salary frozen at the 2011 $9,194 level.

Residents at the council meeting thought council had misdirected its pay cut.
"We have an administrator that earns more than all of what Lantzville council earns combined," said Brian Blood.

He told council that he thought Lantzville's chief administration officer Twyla Graff was "grossly overpaid" with her $126,000 salary.

I certainly agree that $126,000.00 is enough money. We know a family of two living on old age pension, totals $28,000.00 for the year. Sad Sad

lionking

Port Points : 326

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisale Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:27 am

Possum wrote:
Towards the end of my career I was paid very very well, but I was also responsible for multimillion dollar split second decisions that had to be correct all the time so that's why I got the big bucks.

Funny last I checked, the City of Port Alberni took in around $25 Million and was worth around $100 Million. It also directly affects the lives of 17,000 people and indirectly affects many thousand more.

Lionking: You're right, $26,000 is a pittance for a family to live on. Actually it's not even a pittance. It's poverty. Real liveable household income these days with the same standard of living as our parents have requires much closer to $100,000 than $30,000 to achieve... that's just a simple fact of inflation.

But don't you dare ask for that... you'll be called greedy, entitled, and most of all, incompetent by people who were lucky enough to watch their earnings grow both in absolute and relative values over their lifetimes.

chrisale

Port Points : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down